Karen Joynt Maddox, MD, MPH
Associate Professor of Medicine; Assistant Professor, Washington University Brown School of Social Work; Co-Director Center for Advancing Health Services, Policy & Economics Research
- Phone: 314-362-1291
- Fax: 314-362-4278
Center for Advancing Health Services, Policy & Economics Research
- A.B. Public and International Policy: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (2000)
- MD: Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC (2004)
- Residency, Internal Medicine: Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC (2007)
- Fellowship, Cardiology: Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA (2011)
- Research Fellowship, Health Policy: Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA (2011)
- Secretary’s Award for Meritorious Service, United States Department of Health and Human Services, 2016
- Lerner Research Fellowship for research excellence in junior faculty, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 2012
- Thomas W. Smith Fellow in Heart Failure Research, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 2009-2010
- Nanaline Duke Scholar, Duke University School of Medicine, 2000-2004
- AB with honors, Phi Beta Kappa, Princeton University, 2000
General cardiology; consultative cardiology
I am a health services and health policy researcher whose specific research interests include:
- Improving the measurement of the quality and efficiency of physicians, hospitals and health systems.
- Understanding the impact of policy interventions on health care, with a focus on value-based and alternative payment models.
- Reducing disparities in care, with a focus on vulnerable populations including racial and ethnic minorities, individuals living in poverty, individuals with disabilities, frail elders, and those in rural areas.